Silver's Blog
a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

The Future of the Industry
Posted on May 1st, 2010 at 4:07 pm by silvercc and

I was so excited when I read “Confessions of an Intellectual (Property): Danger Mouse, Mickey Mouse, Sonny Bono, and My Long and Winding Path as a Copyright Activist-Academic” by Kembrew McLeod because it discussed “The Grey Album” by DJ Danger Mouse. Earlier this semester, I left a comment on Nina’s musical text analysis of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” expressing how I never heard the original song, but I heard the “mashup” with Jay-Z’s “What More Can I Say.” Kembrew says, “the album had been downloaded more than 1 million times.” I am among this million! I never knew of the controversy this album caused or even heard of the online protest, “Grey Tuesday.” Honestly, I didn’t even know that these beats were chopped from the Beatles’ “White Album” until Nina’s entry. Overall, this journal was very informative in highlighting the distinct differences between authorship and ownership. One line stood out to me. Describing Eminem, Kembrew says, “His powerlessness illustrates how he, as an author, has little control over how his music is received and understood- that he literally does not have the final word…no matter how hard he tries.” It’s ironic to think of a rap superstar as “powerless.” In the (censored) words of Lil’ Kim “See I believe in money, power and respect. First you get the money. Then you get the power. And after you get the power, you get people to respect you” Eminem, and many other artists, have the money and respect, yet still lack power. I’ve never considered this until now. This line also interested me because when Kembrew says “how his music is received and understood” it reminded me of the point I was trying to make in my hip hop blog entry where I discussed listeners misinterpreting lyrics.

Both “Music Industry Counts the Cost of Piracy” and “What’s the Future of the Music Industry? A Freakonomics Quorum” analyzed the future of the music industry, given the creation and popularity of MP3s and illegal file sharing. My personal opinion is that once listeners have had a taste of “free” music, there’s no turning back. It isn’t illegal to listen to a song on YouTube, and that’s how I listen to most songs, for FREE! Now, actually posting the songs may be illegal, but not listening. The music industry needs to find other ways to keep up. I have no suggestions. I will say, however, that even before I had an iPod or used YouTube, I thought CD were overpriced and stopped buying them.

Lastly, in “Calling Almost Everyone’s Tune,” David Segal discusses the recent merge of Ticketmaster and Live Nation, as well as the successes of Irving Azoff within the industry. As sad as this sounds, I’ve never been to a live concert and after reading this article, I know why. The high ticket prices, the hidden charges, the “alienation of the fan base,”…. doesn’t seem like I’m missing anything to me… especially when I can watch it on YouTube the next day. Did I mention for FREE?

Comments so far:

Link Here | May 4, 2010,

Fantastic post- I have to say, though, I was completely floored that you’ve never seen a live show! After thinking about your post, though, this makes perfect sense. The industry has become so commodified, and so centralized, the push is toward bigger and bigger artists performing bigger shows at bigger venues, with ticket prices that are astronomical. While there is a thriving indie scene in NYC with lots of smaller venues, they cater to niche crowds– if you aren’t on that “scene,” these listings would go under the radar. Let’s make sure to talk about this in our discussion of indie music this week.

Amy Herzog |

Link Here | May 8, 2010,

Silver-
I personally love going to concerts just because it brings a whole different experience than just listening to the music on an ipod of watching a performance on youtube. You get to really see the artists fully exposed in a raw moment. Sometimes you can even witness really amazing moments, like when artists comes on stage together and make an unexpected collaboration, freestyle, or perform songs no one has ever heard before. I have differently been a witness to moments like these and have felt proud to have experienced them in front of my own eyes.
Summer is around the corner you should definitely try to catch a show or two : )

Justin Barreto

Link Here | May 10, 2010,

Silver,
I too have never been to a live concert, until 3 yrs ago…..wait for it….I went to see Kelly Clarkson. Yes, I said it, Kelly Clarkson(I <3 her since American Idol). Then after that I went to see a latin group called Camila at the Nokia Theatre. I agree with what Justin said, being in a concert and listening to artists live, in their zone, is a totally different experience in itself. But I too am discouraged in going to see concerts because of the ridiculous ticket prices. The point of concerts initially were to bring fans closer to the artist. That element no longer exists as it is now only about corporate greed. It is really sad, but there's always youtube, and channels like Fuse or VH1 that show concerts afterwards. I was able to see Pink's Funhouse Tour which was amazing!

Stephanie |

Link Here | May 10, 2010,

i really liked your post Silver, especially with the close observation of artists having no power over the way in which their works are interpreted. Although the media outlets can com and review an album, they most likely will not understand the full meaning behind the song unless the artists themselves dedicate time to sit down and have an interview giving them a chance to explain their work. Many artists though are pressed for time and do not have the opportunity to sit down and give is a run down of everything; only a tiny taste which can also be misconstrued depending on who says faithful to the artists words and doesn’t twist them in writing. It reminds me a lot of the Riot Grrrl movement, where these women put out their music to a fan base who understood them, and tried to stay away from the media who only defiled their work and left the girls pretty much powerless on amending the severe damage caused by the media and people who were against the movement.

Nina

Link Here | May 14, 2010,

Hey Silver. I enjoyed your post as well. I too can’t believe you haven’t been to a concert. Despite the high prices, I don’t think you should let that hinder you from ever experiencing one. I think that everyone should experience it at least once in their lifetime. I remember in high school when my friends use to berate me for wanting to go to a concert and saying something along the lines of “why would you want to pay so much just to watch a human being perform?” But in all honesty, hearing live music is an experience in itself that YouTube can’t even capture. Even if it’s a footage of a concert taken by a fan, the overall effect just isn’t the same. Yeah the prices may be high but usually that’s for well known acts like Jay Z or Lady Gaga. But if you’re into underground hip-hop artists then those tickets will most likely be reasonable. And if money is the issue, there are some concerts held in the city that are free like Central Park’s Summerstage or the Siren Music Festival held in Coney Island every summer. Don’t knock it till you try it 🙂

mbarana100 |

Link Here | May 15, 2010,

Thank you all for your comments! I should clear up that I’ve seen countless live performances, but never attended a concert. I must admit, given the lineup for Summer Jam 2010, I may just give in this year!

Silver Chaudry

Link Here | June 24, 2014,

Where To Buy Hcg Injections

Where To Buy Hcg Injections |

Link Here | November 22, 2014,

compounding pharmacy tampa bay

compounding pharmacy tampa bay |

Link Here | May 18, 2016,

Telma Speakman

Silver's Blog » Blog Archive » The Future of the Industry

Telma Speakman |

Link Here | May 18, 2016,

Lacy

Lacy |

Link Here | May 18, 2016,

Wally Allard

Wally Allard |

Link Here | May 19, 2016,

Tasia Hennagin

Tasia Hennagin |

Link Here | May 19, 2016,

Wade Jamesson

Wade Jamesson |

Link Here | May 19, 2016,

Bettina Albrecht

Bettina Albrecht |

Link Here | May 19, 2016,

Garrett Botton

Garrett Botton |

Link Here | May 19, 2016,

Wesley Vandeusen

Wesley Vandeusen |

Link Here | May 20, 2016,

Stanton

Stanton |

Link Here | May 20, 2016,

Raleigh Hartlein

Raleigh Hartlein |

Link Here | May 20, 2016,

Jonathon Defreitas

Jonathon Defreitas |

Link Here | August 4, 2019,

top gym in St Louis

top gym in St Louis |

TrackBack URI